New district dress code implemented

Meghan Jones, Staff Writer

Dress codes vary from school to school. While some dress codes may be strict and others lenient, others take a different approach entirely and require uniforms. This year, the school has adopted a new district dress code along with other schools in the county.

This year’s dress code is very minimal compared to years before. The guidelines for this year say “any type of dress which is disruptive will not be permitted.”

“I do not want a dress code but people need to understand that there is an appropriate way to dress for school and an appropriate way to dress while out of school,” assistant principal Meldine Lee said.

In previous years the dress code was very strict. It said that pants and shirts were to be fitted and skirts and dresses were to be the appropriate length, transparent and see through material were unacceptable and shirts must be covering the entire torso at all times, footwear was required worn at all times, hats or sunglasses weren’t allowed, and undergarments were not to be seen.

Students are enjoying the flexibility allowed by the new code, and there have not been any major issues from it.

“I like the new dress code because I can wear shorts that I think are appropriate; however, I do not like seeing inappropriate body parts. I would like to be able to wear pajamas and no shoes,” junior Madison Horseman said.

However, it’s important to remember that dress codes are in place to help teach students how to dress for the real world.

“A dress code sets the tone for the behavior and work expected at a place of business.  Education is our business.  It is my responsibility to adhere to a professional dress code; it shows that I am serious about what I do, as well as showing I have a respect for others,” foreign language teacher Regina Cecil said.

Because the dress code can be such a sticky situation, some adults in the building think a uniform could be the best option. With uniforms, faculty members wouldn’t be put in difficult situations and students wouldn’t feel pressure to dress a certain way.

“I am a strong supporter of a school uniform,” said English teacher Anna Thomas. “Tyrell Co. schools have had them for a few years now, so it is an entirely realistic concept to have in a public school. If we had a uniform, then it would alleviate the pressure to buy name-brands, and to wear certain clothes. A uniform doesn’t have to be strict, but if we had one, it would ensure that all of a student’s body is covered in an appropriate way, that no slogans or pictures exist to cause offense; and that the faculty, and administration, are not in charge of policing a student’s clothes.”