Athletic ticket prices: trying to find ways to reduce the cost of admission

Cole Basnight, Sports Editor

At the school, the normal ticket price to get into a ballgame is $5. This could cause a family of 4 to pay $20 to get in to see their son or daughter play in a game. If they choose to eat dinner at the game, they can expect to pay at least another $20 for everyone to eat. The family of an athlete might wind up paying $40 to see their child play in one game, that can easily add up over time.

“I think [ticket prices are] something we need to find ways around,” principal John Luciano said. “I think it’s too much money.”

The school has been trying to find ways to reduce this cost but the conference is the one who sets the price for the athletic events. This is so the other team’s families don’t have to pay a different price every time they go to their child’s ballgame.

The school has started allowing kids that are playing “in-season” to get in free to ball games. This means that students who run track can get into baseball games for free and vice versa.

“I think they have taken strides to help students,” athletic director Alfie Wheeler said. “The in-season sports athletes are now allowed in for free. So if it is football season and you play soccer then you get into the game for free, so that helps.”

The school used to have students bring in their IDs to get a discount on the ticket price. This year the school gave out a season pass for 12 different sporting events for $40. This would mean that the season ticket holder would save $20 if they attended all 12 games on the ticket.

“They have allowed us to sell season passes which can save a lot of people money. You can buy a pass for $40 or $50 dollars and come to a certain amount of games,” Wheeler said.

Sporting events are meant to be for the kids and not a money making ploy for the conference. Money from the ticket sales does come back to the school and the athletic programs.

“Most of the time, we cover the refs and any other kinds of fees we would have associated with that particular game. Football, which is the big money maker, helps cover other athletic expenses, including up to a lot of equipment and things of that nature,” Luciano said. “So all the money that comes in from the gates, called the gate receipts, goes back into the sports program and does not go back in necessarily to the sports program that got the money, it’s one large pot.”

While the school does cover a lot of the costs associated with hosting the sporting events, the reduced price may attract more fans and make up whatever revenue is lost from reduced ticket prices. As a result, the school is actively trying to find ways to reduce the costs of games for families and students and to encourage attendance at sporting events without breaking the regulations set by the high school athletic association.