The student news site of Manteo High School

Sound to Sea

Here’s what happened when I tried being vegetarian for a week

Brittany Nieman, Staff Writer

I always swore that I could never be a vegetarian. I always said, “it would be too hard” and “I would never have anything to eat” because I thought vegetarians ate the same meals over and over. Because of all these preconceived notions, I decided to try it out for myself.

My family is one that can’t go a meal without including meat in it. No one in my immediate family is a vegetarian. While I can do breakfast without meat, lunch and dinner are much harder.

Breakfast was probably the easiest of all of my meals during the week. I stuck with cereal or toast, and I added in fruit. I don’t usually have a lot of time in the morning to make fancy breakfasts, so going vegetarian for breakfast was easy.

On the first day of my experience, all I brought to school was apples. I couldn’t find any other food in my house that didn’t include meat, so I made it work. My typical lunch includes meat, whether it be leftovers or a ham sandwich, so packing a vegetarian lunch was an adjustment. I was starving all day!

That night my friends and I were going to the soccer game and we stopped by Subway for dinner. My usual sub is a black forest ham on wheat.  I couldn’t eat that, so I ordered the veggie delight. I was pleasantly surprised with my choice. I didn’t even notice the fact that I was missing the meat out of my sandwich. I realized on the first day that vegetarianism wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

For lunch, my mom and I made a large bowl of pasta salad so I ended up eating that most of the week. I would include chips, cookies, and a fruit or veggie. I don’t mind eating pasta salad, but the repetition of eating it over and over got a little boring. It’s hard figuring out vegetarian options to have during lunch, especially when you don’t seem to have much free time. It was just easier to make one large meal rather than multiple smaller dishes. This made packing of my lunch easier and less time consuming.

Eating out was the most difficult thing. Luckily, I had a tennis match in Elizabeth City one days so I got to eat at Panera. Panera was amazing, with plenty of options.

The Bojangle’s stop on the way to Friday’s football game proved to be more of a challenge. Almost all of their options include meat. I got a salad, which was not very good, and a side of mashed potatoes. My friends tried to