The student news site of Manteo High School

Sound to Sea

Too much information being shared on social media

Dylan Berry, Staff Writer

Social media has grown in the last few years and teens are always connected. But just because you are connected, doesn’t mean you need to share everything. Even though most of the things teens post are harmless, some information just does not belong on social media.

Teens are constantly posting about what they are doing or what they have done. When this happens they end up posting information that people don’t care to read. Examples include “I just washed my car,” or “my dinner was delicious” or “I love this weather.” They may enjoy posting this, but it does not belong on social media.

“Social media is not meant to be someone’s life, it’s meant to be a way to show people your favorite memories that you have with your friends and family,” sophomore Trent Jones said.

Being mean on social media is also common, but it is inappropriate. Making mean posts could really hurt other people’s feelings. People do not realize the type of pain they could cause to others from doing this. Teens don’t know what is going on in their life at the time and it could make things worse than what they already are.

“Those teens don’t know the kind of pain they can cause for the people that the posts are about,” junior Warren Brown said. “You never know what is going on behind the other side of the screen.”

Something young adults should always keep to themselves are their relationship problems. People don’t want to know what is going on in a relationship. Sharing it with a best friend is fine, but the world doesn’t need to know.

“I think getting others involved in a relationship through social media is just asking for a storm,” senior Gracie Deichler said. “If you’re in a relationship make it about the two of you and not your 300 Twitter followers. Don’t get me wrong I love drama (that isn’t my own) as much as the next teenage girl, but some things should just be left off of the internet.”

Personal information such as phone numbers, addresses, and emails need to be kept private too. That should stay off the internet because someone could see that and possibly try to take advantage of an individual or situation and also make unwanted contact.

“I think that teens and adults need to be careful about personal information they are posting on social media,” science teacher Pat Holland said. “Unfortunately, there are people that could take advantage of the information in a negative and harmful way.”

Posting pictures is very popular these days but when it is of someone else it’s always a good idea to have the approval of those in the photo. By not doing this, a picture could be posted that he or she may not like and then it becomes an issue and may jeopardize a friendship.

“I think you should have the approval of those in the photo because it should also be up to them if they want you to post a picture that they are included in. I don’t think that a friendship would be jeopardized over someone posting a picture though,” junior Hunter Williams said.

Teenagers often go to social media to criticize and complain. A lot of teenagers have jobs and when they become frustrated with them, they express it over social media. Teenagers also like to complain about school and their teachers here. That is something that needs to be taken care of in person and in private not over social media. When a boss or a teacher finds out about this through social media, he or she may be upset due to the fact that it wasn’t handled properly and maturely.

“Teens say this stuff when they’re mad when they should really think about it and say something to someone in person instead of telling everyone about their problems [online],” freshman Courtney Daniels said.

Drugs and alcohol are illegal and harmful. Teens need to refrain from using these substances as a popularity tool. Pictures of you doing illegal activities do not belong on social media because it could become a serious problem. It doesn’t make you more “cool,” and the picture could end of up the wrong hands, as in an administrator, school resource officer, boss or college admissions officer.

“Colleges and employers are checking social media to see what teens are posting. What they post could keep them from getting into college or getting a job,” guidance counselor Marie White said. “Once the picture is out there, everyone can see it. Posting smoking or drinking pictures demonstrates poor judgment and making bad decisions for everyone to see, there are much better ways to use social media.”    

Teens think it is okay to post pictures of themselves in different ways on social media. Selfies are one of the most common examples of this. These posts should not include risqué behavior or provocative poses. Again, these photos could end up in the wrong hands and shown to somebody who shouldn’t’ see it. Once things are put online, they are hard to get off. Somethings never really disappear despite being deleted.

“Social media gives each of us the opportunity to express ourselves and to connect with others,” English teacher Kassie Mount said. “We should use discretion and wisdom in choosing the photos, rants, and comments that we use to express ourselves and to, essentially declare to the world: This is who I am! Once we release that photo, that rant, that declaration of identity, it no longer belongs to us; it belongs to cyberspace. They aren’t just quiet whispers; they are shots that will continue to echo long after you’ve forgotten what you even said.”

Social media is rapidly growing and more people are getting connected. Posting pictures or updating a status is always fun but just remember to think twice before you post.