High school: a time to be single and focus on number one…you

Willa Brown, Staff Writer

Do you ever wish that you had a boyfriend or girlfriend? Are you tired of being single? Don’t be. High school is a time to figure out who you are and who you want to be in the future. This is hard to do already, without the added pressure of having a boyfriend or girlfriend.

You are still trying to figure out who you are, and people change so much in these few years of high school, that you may end up being completely wrong for each other in the future. Some people become more mature, while some people remain their same immature selves. Plus, you miss out on the chance of being an independent person if you marry your so called “ high-school sweetheart.”

Since you have more time to focus on yourself, you can also focus on after school activities and the sports in which you are involved. If you are involved in sports, and you want to continue playing sports after high school, then perhaps you should focus on becoming a better athlete, instead of being worried about having someone to date.

You are also more likely to be successful in school and continue your education into the best college for you, without worrying about what that means for your relationship. There is no stressing over whether you’re going to apply to the same college, or if you’re going to have a long-distance relationship. Plus, working hard in high school can get you into a college where the dating pool is hundreds of times better than it ever will be in high school.

Having a group of people you care about, and that care about you is important during high school. Couples hangout more with each other and less with other people. When you’re single, the group of people you hangout with is everything. During your high school years, your relationship with your friends tends to grow closer and stronger. You don’t have to hangout with your boyfriend or girlfriend, and you are able to spend that time with your close friends. You are able to talk with these people about anything and everything, and you are, most importantly, able to trust them. You won’t have to worry about splitting time or making sure your friend group likes the person you’re in a relationship with.

Many couples balance friends and their relationships well, but many don’t. Have you ever been in the situation where you had made plans to hangout with one of your friends, but they cancel those plans in order to hangout with their boyfriend or girlfriend? The times spent with your friends with likely be much more memorable than the time spent with your boyfriend or girlfriend. Usually a friendship lasts much longer than a relationship ever will.

There is also the money factor in a relationship. You’re spending money all the time on this person. Whether it be going on a date, buying them or gift or spending gas money driving back and forth from each other’s houses, dating is expensive. Before getting into a relationship, make sure you’re financially stable because all of this adds up quickly.

There are endless possibilities when it comes to school events and dances. You are able to go with whomever you want and really, in general, talk to whomever you want. No one will get jealous when you hangout or talk to other girls or guys, and everything will be so much easier.

Being single isn’t as bad as people make it out to be.The next time you find yourself complaining about not having a boyfriend or girlfriend, think about all of the positives that come from being single.