The student news site of Manteo High School

Sound to Sea

Are you certifiable? Classes offer students real certification

Chrissy Dooley, Staff writer

Students have the chance to earn multiple certifications through classes offered by the school. The majority of them are in the Career and Technical Education (CTE) department.

These classes are taught by the school’s teachers and students must receive a designated score on the post-assessment to be eligible for the course’s credentials.

Classes with certification offered through the CTE department include personal finance, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, Foods II, Introduction to Culinary Arts and Hospitality, Carpentry I, II and III, Core and Sustainable Construction and Adobe Visual Design.

Mike Twigg teaches the personal finance and Microsoft Word and PowerPoint classes. Through the Microsoft and PowerPoint classes students learn and develop basic computer skills and become proficient in Microsoft programs.

Twigg also teachers personal finance, a course that prepares students to understand economic activities and challenges of individuals and families.

“Students gain an understanding of financial institutions, saving, investing, budgeting, credit, planning and paying for college, along with some of the things young adults should find useful like learning about insurance, buying or leasing a car, buying or renting a house or apartment, and topics like calculating cost of living while taking personal finance,” Twigg said.

The Adobe Visual class is taught by Connor Butler.  While taking this class students learn how to use Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign software from Adobe. For students interested in graphic design, this course helps lay the foundation for any future work.

“This class gives students an opportunity to learn how to use some fun software and is a nice change up to your normal high school courses,” Butler said. “ [And] also, because I teach it!”

Foods II-Enterprise and Introduction to Culinary Arts are taught by Tara Wheeler. Through these class students have the opportunity to receive their ServSafe Food Protection Managers Certification. In Foods II-Enterprise, students learn. In Introduction to Culinary Arts, students learn basic safety and sanitation practices, as well as how to use equipment and culinary math that can be applied to the commercial food-service industry.

“These classes give hands on learning and real world experience,” Wheeler said.

While taking Carpentry I, II and III and Core and Sustainable Construction with Beau Barber, students learn how to be safe around construction sites and equipment and they are introduced to construction math, hand tools and power tools. They also learn about blueprints and material handling by going through these courses.

“I encourage students to take these classes because if you wanted to be a homeowner in the future, you already know how to put your house together,” Barber said. “It helps you as a home buyer too and it teaches you basic tool skills and safety. It translates to the rest of your life plus we have fun!”

As freshmen, students take health and physical education. In this class, students learn about CPR and other life saving measures. When finished with this unit, students can opt to pay for the CPR certification if they pass the test. Students interested in this field can also continue their studies in it through Athletic Training I. At the completion of this course, students will obtain American Red Cross Certification in First Aid/CPR/AED.

“You learn about basic athletic training, how to treat injuries, and how to assist someone when needed,” athletic trainer Darana Ruhle said.  “This certification looks good when applying for a job because you can assist customers and employees.”

Through these elective classes students are able to gain real world experience and earn special certificates.

“Taking CTE classes can help you both in school and help you to get a job,” career counselor Rosie Rankin said.  “The certificates show that you not only learned the curriculum but you picked up the skills to pass that test.”