Sound to Sea

Volleyball Fall 2017 Sports Brief

Elizabeth Wheless, Staff Writer

The color pink dominated the volleyball team’s last regular home game of the season. Continuing a tradition started by previous coaches, new coaches art teacher Jillion Schuler and MHS alumna Sammy Jo Hinnant planned a “Dig Pink” event for this game to honor October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The coaches had special shirts designed for the event. The varsity team donned the shirts while the JV team wore the school’s pink jerseys. The special shirts were also for sale, with proceeds going toward the team’s donation to the Side-Out Foundation.

“Ms. Schuler did most of the planning for the Dig Pink event,” Hinnant said. “We joined with the Side-Out Foundation, which helps extend the lives of people with Stage 4 breast cancer from the funds raised at Dig Pink games. We encouraged all those affected by breast cancer to attend the game and we donated money through to the Side-Out Foundation as a team. We decided to host a Dig Pink game because for every 8 women one of them will be diagnosed with breast cancer during her lifetime. Our teams are made up of 12 or more girls which means that someone on our volleyball team could be part of that statistic and if we raise the funds now we could help change that number.”

The game did more than bring awareness to breast cancer. Oct. 12 was also “senior night.” In addition to raising over $300 for the Side-Out Foundation, the teams honored the graduating seniors. Overall, the night was a success.

“I saw fans wearing pink to show their support, and I saw our seniors shine at their last home game,” Hinnant said.