As a worker/ As an actor

As a Worker

Cora Pate
Web Editor

High school students are more than just students; many of us are also employees. Approximately 40-50% of the students here at MHS have cars and need money to pay for gas, or we have to pay our phone bill, and we are saving up for college. We are in school all day, so our only choice for working is on the weekends and in the evenings. “I usually have to work two or three school nights a week, depending on my dance schedule for the week,” said Junior Alex Crum.
Having time for everything–like sports and a job and still finding time to do homework can lead to stress, anxiety, and loss of sleep. We are already waking up between 5 and 6 in the morning to go to school for seven hours; do we really need several more hours worth of work sent home with us? “I spend on average about two or three hours a night on homework, and I have dance or work every night,” said Crum. Working on school nights can get late, and having homework due the next day can keep students up even later. “Between actually doing homework and being too stressed to sleep, I only get about four or five hours of sleep every night and then wake up at six the next morning,” said Crum. Having so much to do in a limited time doesn’t really leave room for creating a system of time management. We have to do what we have to do, and we have limited time to ourselves. Too often, time management is composed of work, work, work until you just can’t keep your eyes open anymore, then you wake up and repeat.

As an actor 

Kiersten Frazee
Editor-In-Chief

According to Kyle Logan:

Is it hard to balance your social life, your  school life, and your theater life?: “I’ve never really tried to balance them. When I’m in a show my grades naturally start to slip, and when I’m not in a show, I socialize a lot. So come to think of it, I’ve never really tried to balance academics.”

How long have you been acting?: “I’ve been formally acting for about four years, but I like to think that my imagination made me an actor from a very early age.”

What are the rehearsal schedules like?: “The rehearsal schedules are a gauntlet that few will survive. If you’ve got the heart for the craft then you might be able to make it through these regular, long rehearsals. Rehearsals can go from 3 – 8:30, but they’ve been longer before.”

How important is acting to you?: “Acting is pretty much the only reason I come to school. So I’d say it’s definitely important to me.”

Is acting or school more important to you?: “I would have to go with acting on that one, though I know one without the other is impossible at this stage in my life.”

How does this affect your life as a senior?: “Acting as a senior is tough, be- cause senior year is pretty stressful with college coming up and trying to find motivation to not drop out. So adding an extra curricular only makes it harder.”