Sleep / Home Work Nightmares

SLEEP

Jordan Baum
Staff Member

Are students getting enough sleep? Studies say that the average teenager needs about nine hours of sleep. Unfortunately, many teenagers don’t get this much sleep. This could be due to many reasons a shift in sleep schedule, early high school starting times, or social and school obligations. As a result, this could cause sleep deprivation in many
adolescents, impacting many teenagers moods, behavior, and academic performance. One way that students are not getting enough rest is due to the shift in their sleep schedule. This is due to the biological change in a teenagers internal clock of about two hours. So, students who used to go to sleep at 10:00 p.m. now go to sleep around 12:00 a.m., and of course this also leads to waking up two hours later in the morning. This change happens to all teens, usually after puberty. With early school starting times this could eventually lead to sleep deprivation, which could cause students to be moodier and have a high-risk behavior towards life. Another reason students are not getting enough sleep is the early high school starting times. According to experiments done by Oxford University schools, starting at 10:00 a.m. instead of the standard 8:00 a.m. times had an improvement on the students’ grades. This im- proved the students’ core class grades and overall success by 19 percent. This proved to be very good for the students because it didn’t just
benefit them in ways like improving their sleep, but it also improved their grades. A final reason that students are not be getting enough sleep is social and school obligations. School provides and encourages a variety of after school activities. These require extra time and energy from the students after school, and then they have homework to do on top of that. Social obligations, like having a job or participating in school rallies and games, also take valuable time. All these things can add up on a students plate, causing them to be stressed and busy meeting their obligations and making it difficult for them to get the sleep they need. With all of these things on the average student’s plate, it can be difficult for teenagers to get adequate rest. This could potentially affect teenagers in a negative way, causing them to be sleep deprived and moody, to behave badly, or even to perform poorly academically. These students simply need more sleep. They are growing kids who need the relief of a good night’s sleep. Students are over-exerted and are putting too much pressure on themselves to do well in school, in sports and extracurricularulars, and in their jobs, while still trying to have a social life with friends. In order for teenagers to be successful at school and in life, they cannot afford not to get the full amount of sleep that they require every night.

Home Work Nightmare Stories

Tiffany Fenz
Staff Member

• “It depends on the day; some days it’s a lot, and some days I have more work and after school like practice or doing family events. Homework gets in the way of it sometimes.” – Wolfy
  • “One time last year I took an online class and I had to complete 60 assignments in 2 days, and that was the worst thing I’ve ever had to do.”
  • “In on of my classes, everything we did, all our worksheets were online, so all I did was look up the title of the worksheet and find the answers. Everyone in the class did that too.”
  • “One day, my teacher gave us 3 tests, an essay, vocab, a warm up, 14 pages of notes, and this Quizlet activity, all due that day in class.”
  • “A couple weeks ago I had to work and to go to this baby shower, but I also had like 20 assignments for one of my classes. So I woke up at 8 a.m. and did not go back to sleep till 2 p.m. the next day because I had so much to do.”
    -Lesley Estrada