AP or not to AP?

AP Classes: Who Needs ‘Em?
Tiffany Fenz
Staff Member

As kids get older and become teenagers, everything becomes more difficult. More is expected out of them, and they have more responsibilities than they did when they were younger. Most teenagers have some level of stress, and some
face almost more than they can handle. For most teenagers stress comes from school, from having too many assignments, or from feeling pressure to get good grades. Stress can come from the people around them, their teachers and their families, or it can even come from themselves. As students reach high school, they feel pressure to take more advanced classes, such as AP or college classes. Students and their parents don’t always realize all the homework and stress that can come with taking these more challenging classes. “I started taking upper classes when I was in 8th grade, and back then I didn’t want to because I didn’t see the point of it. Now I do, because now that I have taken upper classes I can take COA classes as a sophomore, and I can graduate with an associate’s degree in science. But I don’t have a lot of free time, and I usually have a lot of pressure on me to get all the work done and pass.” -Liz Hodgson

Extra Work = Worth It!
Caroline Mode
Staff Member

AP stands for advanced placement. That word is used to describe college level classes that people take in high school called AP classes. If a student takes an AP class in high school and passes the final exam, it counts as college credit that they did not have to pay for. AP classes also prepare students for future college classes, as they are more challenging than regular classes would be. When colleges look at a student’s transcript and see that they have taken multiple AP classes instead of standard classes, they are more impressed by that student’s high school record. Success in an AP class is also an indicator that a student would be able to keep up with college-level work and would be more likely to be successful. It is better to have a B or a C in an AP class than to have an A in a regular class. Taking these kinds of classes are undoubtedly challenging, especially taking several at a time. This challenge is worth it, though, for the educational experience gained and for the effects on the student’s academic record.