Let a kid be a kid! / Being “Perfect” is hard work

Let a kid be a kid! 

Cora Pate
Web Editor

Manteo students express that they have too much responsibility and school related things to take care of, that they have no free time to “be kids.” Even on weekends students are doing homework instead of hanging out with friends and doing things they want to do. Both Manteo High’s very own Ms. Jessica Everett and Ms. Pam Buscemi had jobs and were cheerleaders in high school; “We were not pushed to take college level classes nor offered dual enrollment,” said Mrs. Everett. “I worked some school nights, got all of my homework done, got plenty of rest, and was allowed out on weekends,” said Mrs. Buscemi. Since Ms. Everett’s and Ms. Buscemi’s high school days, the workload has increased drastically. High school counselors encourage and stress the importance of taking college level classes in high school for students who aren’t prepared or don’t have the time management skills to handle them. “I am on two cheer teams, I have SGA, and I am responsible for transporting my brother to and from soccer practices. I spend around five hours on homework on the usual and don’t get to sleep until around two in the morning,” said Manteo senior Lesley Estrada. Seniors also have college applications and FAFSA and scholarships to apply for, which also takes up a great amount of their home life. “I barely get any classwork done, I try and get homework done at school, and I still only get around two to three hours of sleep at night,” said Manteo senior Gray Burke. The whole point of weekends is to catch a break, right? Well are students really catching a break or just working from home? “We are too busy working to make money, preparing for college, handling responsibilities, and doing homework to be able to do what we would like to do on the weekends,” said Manteo seniors Estrada and Katherine Rabanal. The average high school student ranges in age from about fourteen to eighteen; these teenagers don’t have time to be actual teenagers any- more. Now, for the common student, “weekend” just means more time to get stuff done!

Being “Perfect” Is Hard Work!

Jordan Baum
Staff Member

Perfectionism; what is it? It’s when someone refuses to accept anything short of “the best.” Now, is that a good thing? Some people might say yes and others might disagree. Although striving for perfection is unrealistic, it has its benefits as well as its drawbacks. Perfectionists put more pressure on themselves than necessary. This results in their being more stressed and sometimes difficult to cooper- ate with. In their minds, their work is never good enough; it will never be “the best.” This, however, is not always the case. They believe that spending an excessive amount of time trying to make their work flawless will allow them to feel complete, but it just makes the stress even worse. This is both unhealthy and futile; perfection is always just out of reach. Some people think that being perfect is one of the only ways to get a good grade and to do good work. These people have better grades, a better work ethic, and overall better habits. These students generally perform better academically, because they are more self-motivated. Even when perfectionists are already stressed and worn out, they are still driven to keep doing better and better. Some may say that the only way to get a perfect grade is to work hard and to make no mistakes, and that’s what these kids are trying to do. The value of perfectionism could be debated. Some people think that it’s unhealthy to try to be impossibly perfect, while others think that it’s the only way to succeed. So, Is it a good thing or is it a bad thing?