Sound to Sea

Whats really cooking in the kitchen with Mrs.Gail! / Multiple Intelligences: What the heck is it?

What’s Really Cooking in the Kitchen With Ms. Gail!

Cora Pate
Web Editor

Ever wondered what’s really cooking in the MHS cafeteria? Well I am going to give you a rundown of our school’s cafeteria. The one and only Ms. Gail gets here around 6 a.m. on the typical morning to start cleaning and preparing for
the day. “When we get here we usually just clean up and do any last minute prep because we usually like to start prep ahead of time the day before,” said Ms. Gail. What about the menu? Ever wonder who decides what is served each day? “Central Office usually decides what is served what day, which is run by my boss, Colita Covan. After a while we usually catch on to the routine since the menu cycles about every three weeks,” said Ms Gail. So when they serve the same menu items you don’t like over and over don’t blame our staff, it’s not their choice! The food served in the cafeteria is often known for not having flavor. The staff does not make the food like that because they don’t want us to have good food, or because they aren’t good at their jobs-it’s to protect us. They never know which kids might have an allergic reaction to certain seasonings and ingredients. Central office tries to avoid foods with high allergen level foods like nuts and soy; they also send out surveys for kids to fill out to list allergies. Kids can also get a note from a doctor to access an allergen menu in some public schools. Ingredients and nutritional facts are available on the standard recipes the cafeteria staff uses to make the meals. And the ultimate question… where did the name “Big Daddy” pepperoni pizza come from? “It is actually the name on the box; the companies we order from try to create names for the food they think will appeal to the youth,” said Ms. Gail. So now you know what really cooking in the MHS kitchen!

Multiple Intelligences: What the Heck Is It?

Evie Gallagher
Staff Member

Often when people think of intelligence, they think of one general mindset, usually limited to subjects like math, science and English. Many people don’t realize that there is more than one kind of intelligence. In Howard Gardner’s
Multiple Intelligences theory, he states that there are eight types of intelligence. There is more than just logical intelligence; there is verbal, interpersonal, body-kinetic, naturalistic, interpersonal, visual-spatial, and musical intelligence. Gardener also states that education systems are biased toward logical intelligence and assumes that everyone can learn the same material with ease. Gardner developed this theory in 1983, and the theory still applies to today’s education system. School systems focus on teaching children what they think will help them get into college and eventually get jobs. To achieve this, teachers are guided in their teaching by a curriculum that the school system thinks all children will be able to understand, and that curriculum has a logical mindset. This curriculum often calls for products such as papers, timelines, and formulas of math equation that some children may have trouble understanding. Frequently, children with different intelligences are left behind or are struggling in school due to being asked to think or perform in ways they don’t understand. The classes that do em- brace other intelligences like art, business, music, and cooking sometimes aren’t emphasized as much as subjects like sports or math. There are, however, ways to create new learning techniques that can help children with every mindset. For example, English teachers don’t have to assign just essays and papers for a book project. They could offer other assessment options, such as doing a piece of artwork, making a video, or writing a song. For math, they could use marbles in a box to teach probability, or for science they could teach cell parts with gummies inside of jello. It may seem too elementary to teach these ways, but it can really be effective for the different types of intelligence that children have.

Logical intelligence – Math, science, and organization.
Verbal – English, poems, writing, and learning new languages.
Interpersonal – Social skills, money, financing.
Body-kinetic – Sports, armed forces, problem-solving.
Naturalistic – Hunting, fishing, and cooking.
Intrapersonal – Knowing yourself and emotions, knowing your strengths
and weaknesses.
Visual-spatial – Art, visualizing things in your mind’s eye, reading maps.

Musical intelligence – Playing instruments, memorizing songs, recognizing patterns.